28 September 2018 / Club News

15/09/18: Skewen RFC vs Maesteg Celtic Match Report

On Saturday the 15th of September Skewen welcomed Maesteg Celtic to Tennant Park. With Celtic just one point below us and with a game in hand (due to the Maesteg RFC situation) this was an important game for the club

Skewen again started the match with pace and pressure which led to Skewen’s 1st try after only 10 minutes. A cleanly taken line out on the 10 yard line saw the ball being taken up by the forwards. A series of quick ruck balls saw the Celtic defence in disarray enabling Fly Half Anthony Busselli to spot a gap which he glided through to score a try which he failed to convert.

Within 5 minutes Skewen had scored their 2nd try. A pick up by No8 Joe Lewis and drive to the blind side saw the ball move to Centre Tom Kingdom who making ground fed out to full back Mark Harvey who sprinted in for a try converted by Anthony Busselli.

Skewen scored their 3rd try within minutes. A Celtic kick ahead was retrieved by full back Mark Harvey. He attacked the Celtic defence before passing to wing Sam Collins who made ground before passing to Centre Tom Kingdom who was steaming up on his inside taking the ball at pace beating his opposite number and racing in to score a try under the posts which was converted by Anthony Busselli.

With 15 minutes still to go in the first half Skewen scored their 4th and bonus point try. An excellent kick out of defence by Fly Half Anthony Busselli saw Skewen attack a Celtic lineout deep inside the Celtic 22. Celtic attempted to run the ball out of defence but a strong attacking defence by Skewen saw them awarded an attacking scrum 10 yards from the Celtic line. Skewens’ dominance in the scrum saw a mighty drive pushing the Celtic 8 back over their line for No 8 Joe Lewis claim the try, converted by Anthony Busselli.

Half time score Skewen 26 Maesteg Celtic 0

Skewen started the 2nd half as they did the 1s.. Within 5 minutes of the restart pressure on Celtic inside their 22 saw the Celtic 10 attempt to run the ball from near his own line. He attempted to run outside 2nd row Reece Jenkins who not only tackled him but also dislodged the ball which he manged to control and dive over for Skewens 5th try converted by Anthony Busselli.

What had, to this point, been a well contested and fair game with little or no foul play became a very stop start affair. It was now a matter of whistle and card which had a serious effect on the   game for the remaining half hour. The referee saw fit to control the game with the whistle and the issuing of 6 yellow cards. At one point Skewen had 12 and Celtic had 13 players on the field. To the bemusement of both players and spectators alike, not one card was issued for dangerous play or professional foul; each was for players attempting to communicate with the referee, something he would not allow.

At one stage Skewen kicked ahead contact was made not unfairly. The Celtic player called to the referee for offside and the Skewen player called he was not. Both were carded for dissent. Leaving everyone in the grounded shaking their heads in bemusement.

In fairness to the Celtic they never gave up and began to exert pressure on a depleted Skewen defence crossing for 2 tries of their own each coming from good ball retention at a series of rucks within the Skewen 22. Both of which were allowed as conversions despite the fact that both linesmen kept their flags down for one which was over ruled by the referee.

Final Score Skewen 33 Maesteg Celtic 14

Overall a very controlled first half by Skewen. A solid pack display at set piece, ruck and maul led to quick ball which was used effectively by half backs Jaimie Kirkhouse and Anthony Busselli. The back row again played with pace and passion and is developing into an effective and well-balanced unit. The line out was far more consistent .The re-emergence of Aled Mogford and Ed Price will obviously have an effect. The introduction of Mark Harvey at full back enabled the back three to attack from deep with pace and penetration.

Apart from the 1st game the try count alone is a testament to the style of play that Skewen are attempting to play. Good forward pressure, quick ball effectively used by the backs. Fat boys and pretty boys combining together, to make exciting and enjoyable rugby for both players and spectators alike, unfortunately due to the stop start nature of the game this was not possible in the second half.

 The referee is a very important part of the game as are the players. It is the level of good communication between both that often leads to the most open and enjoyable rugby for all.

But communication is a two way process and when communication fails or even worse is not allowed the rugby suffers. That is not to advocate dissent but to allow the referee and players to achieve a level of communication and feel for the game to make the game what it should be open and enjoyable.

Skewen Team  

15 Mark Harvey

14 Sam Collins

13 Tom Kingdom

12 Kevin James

11 Jordan Adderley  

 10 Anthony BUSSELLI

9 Jamie Kirkhouse

8. Jo Lewis

7 Lee Dunsford  

6 Richard Davies

 5 Reece Jenkins  

4 Ed Price

3 Mark Jones Capt.

2 Joe Davies

1 James Reeves

 Subs: Steffan Bond, Johnny Gethin, Rhodri Hughes, Aled Mogford and Liam Kirkhouse



There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos

You must be signed in to add comments